If you connected Bopple and Kounta prior to October 2018, you will most likely be using the previous version of our integration.
We've since released an updated integration to make use of Kounta's new Online Products feature. This feature allows you to curate and configure a purpose-built version of your menu just for Bopple. The bulk of your in-app menu management can now be done without leaving Kounta back-office!
Old vs New
On the old integration:
- 😡 Lots of double handling to update menu (do it on Kounta, then do it in Bopple admin)
- 😱 Using the confusing
Import Menuscreen in Bopple admin
- 😢 In-app menus could easily be setup poorly or with errors that impact usability
- 😩 Updating your in-app menu was very time consuming and tricky
On the new integration:
- 😁 Refine your in-app menu without leaving Kounta back office
- 😁 No need to review/edit and approve new menu items in Bopple admin
- 😁 Product images and descriptions are used directly from Kounta
- 😁 Rapid Bopple menu updates; just update in Kounta and then a single click in Bopple admin!
Preparing for the Update
There are a few things you'll need to do to get ready to migrate to the new integration. This process is outlined below.
1. Check the basic menu setup requirements
As you are already using Bopple, the core of your menu setup is likely already compatible with Bopple, but you can find details on requirements here.
In a nutshell, Bopple:
- Requires the use of Product Variants for sizes
- Requires the use of product-linked Option Sets for options on products
- Does not support unlinked/floating modifiers
- Does not support $0 base prices on products
2. Enable the Online Products add-on
Head to my.kounta.com/addon/onlineproducts and enable the add-on.
You will now be able to access the
Online Products section via the Products page.
Until we update your venue settings in Bopple the menu setup in Kounta Online Products won't impact your menu in the app, so feel free to have a play around!
The Online Products section has two views;
Preview where you can see how your products will be displayed in-app, and
Modify where you can amend this display.
Within each section, you can use the
˅ arrows to drill down to the lower level (ie. seeing what Option Sets are available on a product, and then what options are included in the Option Set).
3. Hide inappropriate or unnecessary menu items
A lot of venues have items in their POS that aren't suitable for customer display. This might include things like staff-only products and free/heavily discounted products for loyalty etc. Another common example is having a product called "Takeaway", used effectively as a note on takeaway orders - this doesn't need to be shown to customers in-app as other options exist within the ordering process.
You can hide these in your online menu using the
Show Online checkboxes in the
Modify section. This setting can be applied to entire product categories and option sets, or to individual products and options (use the arrows to drill down to different levels and review/configure as needed).
Wondering how to control in-app product availability across multiple sites? We've added some info on this at the bottom of the page.
4. Review display names and add customer friendly names where needed
Display names for products, categories, option sets and options in-app should be clear and concise. If the name is too short (ie. abbreviations) the customer may not understand. If the name is too long it may not display well in-app.
We'd recommend reviewing the following:
- Are you using shorthand or abbreviations in place of an actual name?
- Are you including detail in the product name that should really be in the description?
- Are you using symbols/characters in the name to aid display on bump screens/dockets?
- Are there spelling errors in any of the names?
If the answer to any of the above was "yes", you should use the
Customer Friendly Name field to add a clear, concise name to the menu item for customer display. You can add these to product categories, products, option sets and options/modifiers. This won't change the name you see in the POS.
5. Add product descriptions for customer clarity
Descriptions need to be added in Kounta if they are to be shown in-app. This won't be necessary on every product, but for food and drink where varied ingredients might be used this is important so the customer is clear on what they are ordering.
Modify tab of
Online Products, add ingredients and any other info that will be useful to the customer in the
Description field beside each product, where appropriate.
6. Add product images to make the in-app menu pop
All products in the Bopple app are displayed with a product image tile. If an image is not supplied in Kounta, the product will have a grey tile with the product initials assigned. See example below.
While this is optional, we strongly recommend that you add product images in Kounta for display in-app. It creates a much more visually appealing experience which impacts how a customer orders.
NB: If you don't want to have the product images displayed in your POS, simply disable the setting in Kounta POS > Preferences
We have a library of common coffee, tea, juice and smoothie images available here which might save you some time!
NB: If the product has variants you only need to add the image to the variant "parent", example below.
7. Notify Boppl support that you have prepared your Online Menu
Once you're happy with the Online Menu let us know. We'll run some checks to ensure the new setup will import to Boppl without any issues that will impact customers/sales.
We can then schedule in a time outside of trading times to update your venue(s) to use the newly configured Kounta Online Products menu.
Product Availability at Multiple Sites
Kounta Online Products is a company-level configuration. This means that if you uncheck the
Show Online setting for a product etc, it will be hidden in-app for ALL sites/venues.
If a menu item is not available at a certain site, this needs to be configured on the Product Info page using the checkboxes under Product Management > Sites. Note that this will also change the products availability in the POS, not just the app.
Unfortunately at present it is not possible to have a product available at ALL sites in the POS, but only at some sites in the app. This is a limitation of the company-level Online Products configuration.